A few weeks ago my mother-in-law brought over some chicken taco soup that she had made for us. It was delicious! So delicious in fact that my husband only got to eat one bowl because I ate the rest. Naturally I had to ask for her recipe. She said it was really easy, and basically you just open a bunch of cans.
I thought I would make up a big pot of it this week. Here in Utah we’ve been getting down to single digit temperatures on a regular basis, so a nice bowl of warm spicy soup sounds amazing.
Chicken Taco Soup
- 2 chicken breast, shredded
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 2 cups of salsa
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of chicken broth
- Put shredded chicken into a large soup pot and add the taco seasoning and the water that the envelope recommends.
- Cook down to season the chicken according to the package directions.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients into the chicken and stir.
- Bring soup to a boil.
- Serve with cheese, sour cream, and corn chips or shredded tortillas.
If you want to give it an extra kick of heat you can use a hot or medium salsa. Ground beef can also be used but the chicken is super yummy.
If you like it thinner you can add some water as well. I prefer it thick. Also, I think it’s better after it’s been sitting in the fridge for a while, so I would say make it the day before you want to serve it. Gives the flavors time to combine.
It’s so yummy I’m eating a bowl as I write this post. I am so glad I made a big pot of it.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email and
to gain access to the FREE Cricut Cut Files page.