This holiday flavor inspired Italian cookie is a delicious addition to your favorite hot beverage. Whether you choose coffee, tea, or hot cocoa this easy chocolate peppermint biscotti pairs perfectly.
One of my favorite flavor combos during the holiday season is chocolate and peppermint. I love it in all sorts of things. Peppermint hot chocolate. Peppermint patties. And chocolate peppermint biscotti.
Biscotti is great. Crunchy cookies aren’t usually my favorite. I’m more of a soft baked cookie girl. But biscotti is the exception. It is supposed to be nice and crunchy. That’s what makes it so good with hot cocoa.
I decided since I’m loving the chocolate peppermint combo that a chocolate peppermint biscotti was in order.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 T peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 10-15 peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or use a silpat.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients and combine thoroughly. Dough should be thick, but moist. You can add water by the tablespoon if the dough is too dry.
- Divide the dough in two. Using your hands shape the dough on the cookie sheet into two long logs about 1/2 inch think, 3-4 inches wide, and about as long as your cookie sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove biscotti from oven and allow to cool.
- Once biscotti is cool slice each log into 1 inch pieces. Lay biscotti on the cookie sheet, cut side up, and return to oven for 8-10 minutes. Turn biscotti over and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Crush peppermint candies either by hand or using a food processor. Set aside.
- Once biscotti is cool, melt chocolate chips in microwave at half power for 30 seconds. Stir and return to microwave for an additional 30 seconds if needed. Drizzle over biscotti.
- Sprinkle crushed peppermint over the drizzled chocolate.
- Once chocolate is dry, store in an air tight container.
These cookies are much easier than they look, so don’t be scared to give them a try. They are a nice treat with your cup of cocoa and they make a fancy gift for family and friends.
Be sure to check out the delicious cookies from some of my fellow bloggers.