Do you know how to make chocolate covered strawberries? It is easy and when you make them at home it is a fraction of the cost.
Every year for Valentine’s day Ricky brings me a box of chocolate covered strawberries. The first year he bought them because someone from his office was going to a local chocolate shop to buy some for his wife and asked if anyone else in the office wanted him to pick some up. They were so delicious that I put a reoccurring reminder in Ricky’s calendar so that he wouldn’t forget to get them the next year.
Now if you have ever priced chocolate covered strawberries you know that they are pricey. So if I want them more than just once a year I make them at home. You just need two main ingredients, chocolate and strawberries. Be sure to wash your berries really well first with my DIY produce wash.
- 1 cup of chocolate, chips or chunks
- 1 tsp of shortening (optional)
- Wash strawberries and allow to air dry or dry by hand.
- Prepare a pan or plate with wax paper.
- Melt chocolate in a chocolate pot or small glass measuring cup in the microwave.
- Add shortening and mix until melted.
- Dip berries and place on wax paper.
- Add toppings to wet chocolate.
- Place berries in the refrigerator or freezer for a few minutes to help chocolate set up.
- If drizzling do so after chocolate has set up.
The shortening is optional but I find that things dip better when there is a little shortening in the chocolate. You can’t taste it at all. It just makes the chocolate thinner so you have a nice thin coating on your strawberries.
Once your berries are dipped you can leave them plain or pretty them up with a fun topping. You could use colored white chocolate, toasted coconut, mini chocolate chips, mini M&Ms, nuts, etc. You want to add toppings to freshly dipped berries so they will stick to the wet chocolate. If you are drizzling you will wait until chocolate has set up and then drizzle.
These make great gifts for family and friends. Everyone will be so impressed by your fancy dipping skills.
If you think these strawberries look delicious be sure to check out my chocolate raspberry cups.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email once weekly and
to gain access to the FREE Cricut Cut Files page.