Do you have zombies in your life? Do the love brains? Why not make them some rice crispy treat zombie brains?
I found this awesome post for Brainy Popcorn Balls. I loved the idea and tried it immediately. I was hoping for a rice crispy treat like flavor but I decided I wasn’t a fan of the marshmallow covered popcorn.
I decided that since I was hoping for rice crispy treats then I should just make some rice crispy treats in the shape of a brain.
- 16 oz bag of mini marshmallows
- 7 cups of rice crispies
- 2 T of coconut oil (or butter)
- Red food coloring (6 drops)
- Red food gel
- Cooking spray (optional)
- Parchment paper
- Lay out a sheet of parchment (or use a silpat) to place brains on to cool.
- Melt coconut oil in a pot over medium low heat. Add marshmallows and melt completely stirring consistently to prevent burning.
- Add red food coloring. Mix well.
- Add rice crispies. Stir to coat completely.
- Coat hands with cooking spray (or coconut oil or butter). Put 3/4 – 1 cup of marshmallow covered rice crispies into the palm of your hand and form into a ball.
- Lightly press the ball down on the parchment to make into brain shape.
- Oil the handle to the mixing spoon and lightly press into the top of the ball to create a line to separate the hemispheres.
- Repeat to use up all the rice crispies.
- When the brains have cooled, pipe blood vessels on with food gel. Let gel dry completely.
I used Wilton’s Blood Red food gel to pipe on veins. It made nice clean lines and I liked how it has a bit of shimmer.
How great would these be for a Halloween party? Or to hand out to trick-or-treaters you know? Or maybe even to eat while watching The Walking Dead?
Thor loves these treats. He ate most of the batch himself.
If you make some I’d love to see them. Share them via social media with the hashtag #ambersimmonsblog.
If you are looking for more Halloween ideas check out the 30 Days of Halloween over at Cupcake Diaries.