This tutorial for how to make an eye-catching pumpkin pom pom garland is so easy you can make it while you watch TV.
I love a good fall Garland. Or really any season.
Fall ones are just so cute.
And since I am in the zone for pumpkins I thought I would make a pumpkin garland.
Check out my faux cement pumpkin, pearl dripped pumpkin, and glitter dipped pumpkin for more pumpkin goodness.
For this simple garland you are going to need minimal supplies.
How to make a pom pom
To make a pumpkin you’re going to take your pom pom maker and wrap your orange yarn around it.
You want to wrap it really full. The more you wrap the yarn the fuller the finished pom pom will be.
Once you have your pom pom maker covered in the orange yarn you’re going to close it and open the other side to continue wrapping.
Close the full pom pom maker and cut the yarn down the center of both sides.
Then take a piece of orange yarn and tied it around the pom pom tightly.
It’s holding the whole thing together so you want it to be snug.
How to add a stem to a pumpkin pom pom
Then fold the pipe cleaner in half and wrap it around the pom-pom. It is easiest to do this before you take it off the pom pom maker.
Then you just twist the ends together to make the pumpkin stem.
Once the stem is in place you can open the pom pom maker and release the pumpkin.
Finally I fluffed the pom pom up to make it nice and round.
If you have any spots that are long you can give them a little trim.
That’s it. It’s super duper simple to make a pumpkin pom pom.
I made a few more pumpkins and then using a yarn needle I threaded some baker’s twine and went through the pumpkin pom-poms at the top of the stem, through the folded part.
If you go too low in the pom pom you’ll flip your pumpkin upside down.
Look how cute it is hanging on my picture ledge.
- Orange Yarn
- Green Pipe Cleaner
- Pom pom maker
- Yarn Needle
- Open one half of the pom-pom maker. Start wrapping orange yarn around both pieces. Wrap until it's very full. The fuller the pom-pom maker the fluffier the finished pom-pom will be.
- Close the pom-pom maker, clip the yarn.
- Repeat step 1 on the other half of the pom-pom maker.
- When both halves are full, carefully clip down the center of each half.
- Take a piece of yarn and tie it around where you just cut. Tie it tightly to hold the yarn in place.
- Take a green pipe cleaner and fold it in half. Wrap it around where you just tied and twist the ends together to create the stem.
- Now you can carefully release the pom-pom from the maker by lifting the arms and pulling the sides apart.
- Fluff the pom-pom and clip any stray pieces of yarn to make a round ball of yarn.
- Thread the string through the yarn needle. Using the needle, pull the string through the folded part of the pipe cleaner so that you can hang the pumpkins by the stem.
- Repeat the process until you have the desired number of pumpkins.
Be sure to wrap firmly. Not too tight or too loose.
Want more autumn crafts and decor? Check out my other fall posts.